Grauate Degree Programs
The Physics & Astronomy Department offers the following graduate degrees
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Master of Science
- 5 Year BS/MS
The requirements for each of these programs may be found in the UofL Graduate Catalog
Graduate Program Application Instructions
- All applicants will be considered for Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA). PhD GTA positions cover full tuition, basic health care coverage and receive a stipend paid in 12 monthly installments. Teaching duties of GTAs may include supervision of undergraduate physics laboratories, tutoring and grading up to a total of about 20 hours per week.
- Specific details of the application requirements may be found at the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies on-line application site . Applications are accepted either on-line (preferred) or by completion of a hard-copy application form. Note that there is a non-refundable application fee whichever method you choose.
- A complete application must include the following:
- Application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official copy of undergraduate and any graduate transcripts
- Official GRE (general section) scores. There is no specific minimum score required for entry, but your score will be used as part of the criteria to determine whether you are offered a place. The Physics GRE is not required, but is preferred for PhD applicants - a good score will likely improve your chance of receiving an offer.
- International students must also provide:
- Official ToEFL scores (for applicants for whom English is a second language). Minimum required score is 79.
- Financial declaration statement.
Full instructions are found at the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies on-line application site . The application fee may be paid with VISA or Mastercard.
Application forms and directions are available at the on-line application site
. If you decide to follow this route you should send the complete application directly to the address below (not the Graduate School). Graduate Admissions Co-ordinator Department of Physics & Astronomy 102 Natural Sciences Building University of Louisville Louisville, KY 40292
Application fee check should be made payable to "University of Louisville".
- There are no absolute deadlines for applications, however, initial offers for Fall entry are made in early March. Therefore, in order to ensure consideration for Fall entry your complete application should be received no later than February 1. Applications received after this date will be considered for any remaining places. Spring entry positions are rare; to be considered for such a position we should have your application on file before mid-October.
- Questions regarding the application procedure should be directed to the Graduate Admissions Co-ordinator, Dr. Ming Yu.
The University of Louisville is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. For more information - www.louisville.edu/accreditation.
SACS 3.4.3 Admissions and Recruitment 2017
The University of Louisville publishes admissions policies for all undergraduate, graduate, and professional school programs that are consistent with the university’s mission to pursue excellence and inclusiveness to educate and serve its community and to become a “nationally recognized metropolitan research university.” Admissions policies and requirements for online and off-site programs are consistent with those for face-to-face programs. UofL publishes its admissions policies in various formats and venues, including the university’s website, the Undergraduate and Graduate catalogs and in professional schools’ student handbooks or bulletins, all of which are available online. All admission requirements follow policies established by the university in conjunction with academic programs and are clear, reasonable, and consistently implemented. All forms of print and digital communications officially representing the institution are consistent with catalogue content and accurately portray the conditions and opportunities available at the institution.