The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Louisville offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in Physics, Astronomy, and Atmospheric Science through the College of Arts and Sciences. The faculty consists of 17 members, all holding the Ph. D. in their field. All are active in a variety of research areas including interdisciplinary work with other depaertments. Research facilities are housed in the Natural Science Building, Shumaker Research Building, the Moore Observatory and a variety of other external sites. The Department is proud of its active group of more than 30 graduate and over 115 undergraduate students, including its award-winning chapter of the Society of Physics Students (SPS)
The department directory has contact information for individual faculty and staff.
Directions and information about visiting us are available.
General correspondence to the Department of Physics and Astronomy should be addressed to:
Department of Physics and Astronomy
102 Natural Science Building
University of Louisville
Louisville KY 40292
Voice: (502) 852-6790
FAX: (502) 852-0742
|Undergraduate Program Director:
Dr. Timothy Dowling
Room 201 Natural Science Building
|Graduate Program Director:
Dr. Gamini Sumanasekera
Information for Visitors
The Department of Physics and Astronomy is located primarily in the Natural Science Building at the University of Louisville ("A" on the map below), although there are also researchers in the Shumaker Research Building and Ernst Hall. Campus maps for the University of Louisville are also online. On the linked map for Belknap Campus, the Natural Science Building is number 34 while the Shumaker Research Building is number 4 and Ernst Hall is number 33.
- For most visitors, the best strategy will be to take I-65 or Crittenden Drive to Eastern Parkway. For some, particularly visitors from the West End area of Louisville, the strategy will be to find 3rd Street and follow it to the University.
- Specific directions, coming from the north on I-65, can be found here.
- Specific directions, coming from the south on I-65, can be found here.
- The 3-letter code (used by most airlines and online travel services) for the Louisville airport is SDF.
- The airport is a five-minute drive from the University, and only a few minutes more from downtown Louisville.
- If you are trying to drive from the airport to the department, you should follow the exit to I-264 WEST. Stay in the right-hand lane(s) which diverge off to Crittenden Drive north. Follow Crittenden Drive north approximately 1.5 miles to Eastern Parkway (there is a Denny's on the corner). Turn left onto Eastern Parkway and follow the directions for those traveling from the south on I-65.
2021 - Dr. Blakesely Burkhart, UofL alumni (BS 2008), receives the 2022 APS Maria Goeppert Mayer Award. Read More ...
2021 - Two recent physics graduates, Keenan Jones and David Bloom are employed at the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (NSWC Crane), located in Crane, Indiana
2021 - Physics alumni Shawn Knabel (BS 2020) receives the 2021 NSF Graduate Fellowship. He is accepted by UCLA. Congratulations, Shawn!
Please help our program grow
The Department of Physics and Astronomy has a relatively new PhD program with all major research areas represented. To help our program grow, especially, to advance our research and educational missions, we seek support from alumni and friends of the department. We welcome both small and big donations.